Wednesday, April 11, 2012

And the words of the day are . . . . . .

It's a girl!

Yes, my friends, we are having a girl. Our anatomy scan was this past Friday, and we were super excited to find out that the lovely little one in my belly is a girl. Matt was hoping we would have a girl, and while I wasn't really hoping for anything specific (beyond ten fingers and ten toes), I did have one dream in which our baby was a girl.   So yeah for girls and girly Easter dresses and bonnets and ruffles..... in colors other than pink.

More importantly, the baby looks healthy. She's got the organs she's supposed to, all of her limbs are measuring right on track, and she's weighing in around 13 oz which depending on which chart you look at, is either right on track or a little bit ahead of the game. The only potential issue which isn't really an issue right now unless something goes very very wrong is that she is currently in a breech position. Her head is right under my belly button at this point. The tech noted it in the pictures, but the doctor didn't mention it so I'm not too worried. She's still got plenty of time and space in which to turn.  It means that much of the movement I've been feeling have been punches, not kicks. It also made some of the pictures a little bit harder to get so there will be another ultrasound at my 24 week appointment. Bummer.... what a shame... I get to see my baby again.... shucks.... I'm so upset. Did I lay on the sarcasm think enough?

According to the doctor's scale, I've reached my pre-pregnancy weight, but that is at 2:00 in the afternoon after breakfasts #1 and #2 as well as lunch so I'm guessing I'm still a little under. No one is concerned or even really paying attention to it (other than me, I guess). I keep reading on Ravelry that the other women have gained 5, 10, 15, even 20 pounds, so maybe I'm just feeling a little left out? Honestly, though, the less I gain, the less I have to lose later, so I shouldn't worry. I'm hoping to start exercising a little bit, even if it's just taking walks after week 24 or so, that should help with controlling the weight too. Matt keeps encouraging me to eat whenever and whatever sounds good; I think he's worried that in general I'm just not eating enough. Oh well..... we'll be fine.

Baby girl likes ice cream a lot, and will throw a party following a bowl of such. Especially at 11:30 when I'm trying to sleep. Yesterday while we were driving, it felt like she was doing some of sort of yoga position in there that involved pressing her spine as far forward as possible. She had her back to my front when we were at the doctor's office, so I can only imagine that was her spine pressing on me that I was feeling in a straight line.

The ultrasound tech wasn't able to get a good profile shot (one of the pictures that they need to redo at the next appointment) so here is one of the creepy face-forward shots that makes every single baby in the world look like Skeletor. It's a better shot of her skull.


Actually this other one isn't so bad, and as Matt put it, "if she looks like Skeletor, at least that means she's got a skeleton." You can see more facial features, her shoulder/arm (hopefully those shoulders will hold up better than her mom or dad's shoulders), and some ribs and spine. You can also kinda see the outline of her torso.


Lookin' good, kiddo, lookin' good.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! So glad to hear that SHE is doing so well!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete