Monday, February 6, 2012

Do I really need this?

I go back to the doctor for blood work and another ultrasound on Wednesday. The ultrasound is really the first trimester screening. They measure fluid build-up (?) on the back of the baby's neck and if it's over a certain level, it could be indicative of some type of genetic abnormality. I'm still questioning whether or not I really need it. I'm under 35 (the age genetics start really becoming an issue), there is no history of genetic stuff in either of our families, and there haven't been any signs of anything wrong. The scan, combined with a finger-prick blood test, checks for Downs Syndrome as well as Trisomy 13 and 18, I think. Part of me wonders if something like this could have caught V's issues sooner. I know there isn't anything they could have done about it, but still knowing sooner might have .... I don't know. The other part of me just wants to see the baby again. :-) It is ultimately our decision to have the scan done, and being the planner that I am, I'd rather know now there was a risk of something than not know. I think. We're not planning to have any further testing even if something does come back abnormal, and we are definitely not going to even discuss terminating. That's not an issue.

In other news, I feel fat. I know, I know, it's pregnancy fat, but still... my pants don't fit. I have a stomach ache because my pants don't fit. I hate to complain because there are so many people out there who would love to be dealing with nausea and pants that don't fit and whatever else. It's just the money aspect. Everybody talks about how babies cost money, but no one mentions how expensive it is just to BE pregnant.

There are also so many choices when it comes to the things that babies need! Car seats alone have my head in a spin, and I just started looking at stuff today. Who would have thought that a car seat could expire?

In a separate rant, Matt totally has better titles for his blog posts than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment