Monday, July 9, 2012
2:15 We will be heading for the hospital shortly. I called about an hour or so ago because we've had a dramatic decrease in movement today after two days of slightly decreased but still okay movement. She's moved a little bit, but she's just not reacting to the stuff that ALWAYS makes her wiggle (ice cream, ice water, Matt playing the guitar and singing, blowing my nose, laying on my side, etc. ). So I talked to the nurse and they decided that it was better safe than sorry, so I'm going in so they can hook me up to a monitor and make sure that things are okay.
6:00 We are home and things are fine. They hooked me up to the monitors for about an hour to see how her heartbeat and movement were doing and whether or not I was having contractions.
Her heartbeat is fine; the doctor called it reactive which means her heartbeat is responding and accelerating to external stimuli. She’s just apparently really sleepy right now. Her movement was really minimal even when being stimulated from the outside. They used this buzzer thing on her to try to get her wiggle and to see if they could stimulate her heartbeat, which worked, but not for long. She’d jumped, her heartbeat would spike, but it wouldn’t last for more than a minute or so. But she was reactive and didn’t appear to be in distress.
Unfortunately, they were more concerned about me. Apparently, I was having some pretty sizable contractions. I knew I’d had some but I had been identifying the contractions as baby movement. I thought she was just doing some stretching. I was wrong. Once I figured out that’s what was going on, I freaked out a tiny bit because I’ve been feeling those several times a day for weeks and everyone kept acting slightly surprised that I was feeling them and that they were that strong at this point. They also seemed a bit stronger today than they have in the past. The doctor didn’t mention that they were regular or anything; she thinks they are BH, but was concerned that I was feeling them so strongly.
So she checked my cervix to see if there was anything going on there (OMG! that hurt!!!!!). I’m not dilated at all, but I am slightly effaced. Nothing to worry about at this point, but when I mentioned the contractions felt stronger today, she made it very clear that if they got stronger or if at any point, I was still really concerned about the baby’s movements that I needed to call and they would bring me back in to check on us. She told me to lay on my left side of for the rest of the day and make sure to drink at least 32-48 oz of water before bedtime tonight.
In other news, Socks has a tumor about the size of an acorn squash in his abdomen. It doesn't appear to have spread, but they're going to confirm that tomorrow prior to surgery. He should be walking in about a day and home in three days, so that's positive. He should hopefully put back on some of the weight he's lost (ten pounds since March).
It was rough news to hear, but since the prognosis appears to be good, I guess it could be worse. It was just hard to hear after having such a worrisome day of our own.